Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Flatlander's

Flatlander's Restaurant & Brewery
200 Village Green, Lincolnshire, IL 60069, (847) 821-1234

We were out and about on Monday and wound up having dinner at Flatlander's because we'd stopped at the Walgreen's right by it (I was in desperate need of some sinus medication). While outwardly it looks quite a bit like a chain-type restaurant, it actually seems to be a single location place. The website doesn't give a whole lot of details about who owns it or what their goals are, but I gotta say, it's actually pretty good. Better than, say, Hops down in Florida (the bread & butter there notwithstanding).

The menu had a good mix of dishes and showed some creative flair (like duck tenders), though most of it reads like pretty standard pub food. I had the fried chicken salad (good, though it needed more cheese) and Tony had the ribeye (really good, he said). We both had their baked potato soup to start (pretty decent). Tony even tried one of their home brewed beers and liked it. Next time we'll have to try one of their beer flights. A table next to ours was served one and I noticed they had a really dark looking stout on there. I only like European-style beers. Or, perhaps it is more proper to say that I like ales and stouts and that I can't stand most pilsners or lagers. If I'm going to drink a beer then, by god, I want to drink an actual beer. And it looks like they make real beer at Flatlanders. They'll even sell it to you in growlers, bottles, or kegs so you can take some home.

Looks like they have bands and some other events periodically, so we'll have to keep an eye out. Maybe we'll check out their Sunday brunch with live entertainment.

No comments: