Friday, November 9, 2007

Demetri's

660 Lake-Cook Road, Deerfield, IL, 60015 Phone: 847-940-0777

The other night I met Tony after work before he left for Toronto (mostly just to see him, but also because he'd forgotten his suitcase). We ate at Demetri's, which is just around the corner from his office in Deerfield.

It's a Greek restaurant and he's been there a ton of times (there are only so many close places to his office building), but it was my first time there. We actually arrived very early, so we were able to get the Early Bird specials (pretty good deal; they even include dessert).

The inside is nice and pretty understated. They've got some art glass-y type of lights and a big fish tank, as well as some (presumably) Grecian columns decorating the place. The menu seemed pretty authentic to me, with all the standard Greek fare (spanikopita, dolmades, moussaka, etc. [all of which I'm probably spelling wrong, since I don't feel like looking it up right now]).

We had soup to start off with (it came with the Early Bird) and mine was an interesting lemon, rice and chicken soup. Tony had the Athenian chicken (which he'd had before and liked) and I had pasticchio (which I really should look up how to spell, since I'm positive I mangled it). Both were quite good and the portions were, honestly, too big. I especially liked the potatoes with Tony's dish. The baklava and the homemade walnut cake for dessert were also really good.

All in all, this is a nice Greek place. It's not the best Greek food I've ever had (that, so far, would be at places down in Tarpon Springs, Florida), but it was all pretty good. And if you're early, the Early Bird is definitely a good deal.

No comments: