Monday, January 28, 2008

And we're all prepped now

This weekend we had our "compact child birth prep class" which went basically all day Saturday and Sunday. It's only "compact" because it was a weekend instead of being one night a week spaced out over 4 weeks. We learned some things, saw a lot of videos, practiced breathing, all that good stuff. A few things stood out for me:

One, I'm not the kind of girl who goes in for the "visualization" method (for the same reason I usually hate yoga classes). As soon as someone starts going into the whole "imagine you are a tree" mantra or the "build your safe place, one brick at a time. Hear the voices of song birds calling out to you" stuff, my brain just goes immediately into hyperdrive making fun of it. All I can think are things like "follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road" in those high-pitched munchkin voices or "Everything is under control" from that b-flick Hardware. It just does not work for me. If anyone tries to do that to me while I'm actually in labor, I would be hard pressed not to whack them upside the head.

Two, no matter whether you do medication or not, labor is likely going to suck pretty bad. And will probably take longer than you want it to. But it does end and whoop-dee-do, it's not like I can get out of it now. And I'd really rather not get a c-section and have another lovely 6 inch scar across my belly. Recovering from an emergency appendectomy was bad enough, I can't imagine trying to recover while also trying to deal with a newborn. So hopefully the c-section doesn't have to happen.

Three, I am a small pregnant lady. Most of us in the class were all due in March, though there was one in February and one in June. Everybody was pretty much bigger in the belly than me. I guess that's good. I dunno. So far, as of this morning, I've gained 16 pounds.

And the peanut, incidentally, is up to almost 5 pounds. Ack! We had another ultrasound on Saturday before class (long story; essentially, hospital equipment screw up so we had to repeat the last one, even though I'm supposed to get another one this week at the Lake Forest office). The peanut was up to 4 lbs. 14 ounces (up from 3 lbs. 8 ounces on Jan. 10th, if anyone is keeping track). So even though I've not really been gaining any weight to speak of, he has. Well, he can have it. As long as he doesn't get too big.

Everything is still measuring well. I was officially at 32 weeks, 5 days and he is measuring slightly ahead of that at 33 weeks, 5 days (he's a week ahead of me...ah, time travel). His head, though, is slightly bigger than the rest of him (which revelation came, of course, with the obligatory jibing between myself and Tony). He'd better calm that down though since that head's got to fit through a not-so-big opening.

Anyway, ahem, speaking of other things...Tony managed to get the car seat base installed last night. Whoo-hoo! It wasn't too bad once you figured it out, it's just the figuring it out part. And the fact that it was really feckin' cold out in the garage.

And in the last bit of baby-related news I have to impart...we may (probably) have to get a different crib. It seems Babies R Us won't actually let you order furniture until it is in their warehouse. And the set we want is a new one this year that everyone seems to want. So even though we were supposed to be next in line or whatever, they still haven't gotten it (and looking over the lady's shoulder at her computer, there's a big note of "this set is being oversold" right in the BRU computers).

So I did some research and it seems that the Baby Cache brand is actually sold at both BRU and at JC Penney's, though they carry different looks. And it's actually made by Munire furniture, which makes some higher-end baby furniture (this is their first foray into having stuff carried by more mass-market retailers). So there's another set from them that's almost the same that I can see if we can get from anywhere else. We'll see. At this point, they are all starting to look the same to me.

No comments: